Dr. Virginia Freyermuth is a distinguished holistic art educator who has taught grades Pre K-12, college and adults. She is a passionate and articulate advocate of holistic art education.
As an award-winning artist, her children's illustrations include both realistic and imaginative styles. With Julie Steines, she is the co-owner of Polly Parker Press. She illustrated the beloved Norbert book series and co-authored the best-selling Norbert's Little Lessons for a Big Life (Simon & Schuster).
As a portrait artist, she seeks to honor each individual using varied media. She pursues art inspired by Nature and also plein air painting, particularly along the rocky coast of Downeast Maine.
Selected Past Awards
- Massachusetts Teacher of the Year, administered by the Massachusetts Department of Education
- National Outstanding Art Teacher, Walt Disney American Teacher Awards
- Rhode Island Outstanding Higher Education Art Educator
- Outstanding Massachusetts Art Educator of the Year
Artist / Illustrator
- Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Painting
- Master of Fine Arts Degree in Painting
- Ph.D. Interdisciplinary Studies, Concentration in Art Education
- Illustrator of the award-winning Norbert picture book series.
Norbert, a real-life registered therapy dog, has a social media following of over 1.6 million worldwide.
Norbert's pet parent is Julie Steines.
- Award-winning painter and portrait artist
Holistic Art Educator and Public Speaker
- Massachusetts Certified Art Teacher
- Over 300 national and statewide speaking engagements; radio and television appearances
- Areas of Interest: Studio Art, Illustration, Holistic Education, Art Education, Creativity, Arts Advocacy, Curriculum Development, Place-based Education
Author / Publisher
- Co-author with Julie Steines, Norbert's Little Lesson for a Big Life, Simon & Schuster 2017
- Peer-reivewed journal articles and chapter author in The Heart of Art Education: Holistic Approaches to Creativity, Integration and Transformation, published the National Art Education Association
- Co-owner, Polly Parker Press, education and publishing company.